Thursday, August 8, 2013

#38 Held In: The Holding Tank at the Mendocino County Jail

            What was supposed to be the third and last stage of my arrest scenario was the Holding Tank at the Mendocino County Jail in Ukiah where my lockdown mate, Maureen, and I were delivered around 1 pm on Tuesday. We had arrived in a squad car with our arresting officer (Blog #37) following our seven-hours communing with the bulldozer (Blog #36) that was ripping down a perfectly beautiful wooded hillside in order to fill in a wetland for the Willits Bypass.
            Our arresting officer was, as ever, kind to us, and warned that when we went inside to be initially booked, we’d be asked several odd questions, such as, “Do you hear voices? Do you want to harm yourself or others?” I guess he knew we weren’t “that kind” of criminal who might go mad behind bars. It seemed slightly funny until I ended up behind bars and saw how one might tip over the edge with enough time doing time.
            I was taken into the jail first. The booking agent, I want to call her, was also perfectly nice. “Oh, one of those bypass protestors,” she half-laughed. “Well, I can see wanting to express your opinion on the issue.” She, like other guards and officers we met, made these oblique references to the odiousness of the bypass without fully condoning our actions. Odd! I suppose enough of the women arrested before me had given them the speeches with rationales for why we fight the bypass, and the officers had some sympathy. Or…?
          After she asked me a slew of questions, including about medications and depression, she removed from me my shoes, glasses, sweater, anything else I might have had in my pockets that the arresting officer had not already taken. Later, I found, with the cold dungeon like climate of the holding cell, we were given jail issued sweatshirts, socks, and coveralls when we got chilled.
(Not my actual picture but this is what it's like,
except this holding tank is a whole lot newer & cleaner)

            Soon I found myself in the Holding Tank, a cement block room not more than 8 feet by 6 feet, with a metal sink and toilet all-in-one extending from a corner. A pay phone was on the wall, though it only took collect calls. One wall had a 5-foot long metal bench on it, the only place to sit.
            I lay down on the bench and rested while I waited for Maureen to arrive, who was still being booked. A window onto the guard’s station had a curtain that could be pulled on the outside for privacy for us to pee inside the holding tank. I soon pushed the intercom button on the wall and asked someone to pull the curtain. I hadn’t gotten to relieve myself since the early morning.
            Maureen arrived 30 minutes after I did. We had a relatively good time chatting about our new conditions, what we had thought about our climate-change-denying arresting officer, the process of getting booked thus far, the whole experience.
            Our contemplative and even light-hearted mood changed suddenly when the metal door opened and the next inmate arrived. From then on, the utter gloominess of what jail can be descended upon us.
            The first arrival was a 40-year-old woman, whom I’ll call Marta. She had been charged with slapping her boyfriend when she found him at his home on the couch with his ex-girlfriend who was wearing his T-shirt and looking very cozy with Marta’s man. Enraged by his seeming deceit about the innocence of his visits with the ex, our cellmate had slapped him for lying. After the ex-girlfriend vacated the premises, Marta and her boyfriend had worked out the problem and were themselves getting cozy again when the police arrived at the door and arrested her for domestic battery. Clearly, the ex-girlfriend had called in the charge since the boyfriend had not pressed charges.
            Marta was from Ft. Bragg and had been brought on the hour-long journey to Ukiah to be put in jail with $10,000 bail. She wept for an hour trying to figure out how she was going to deal with this, what would happen with her 14-old-daughter, how her 20-year-old daughter would get the bail together (which is actually only 10% of the bail) in order to get Marta out in time to get back to her very responsible job as a hotel manager the next day.
            It was all so complicated, so wrong, so painful. Maureen and I tried to comfort Marta as best we could—with little enough time for that since the holding cell was quickly filling up with one woman after another.
            The next arrived only 20 minutes later, another true sob story: Isabel had been addicted to meth off and on over the last ten years, though at age 31, she still held a robust, healthy aspect, compared to the toothless and sunken look of so many meth addicts. Isabel had gotten off meth for good (she truly believes) a year ago when she found out she was pregnant with her now 8-week-old baby boy, whom she was still nursing. As a nursing mother, her breasts were engorged since it was nearly time to feed her baby. She too was from Ft. Bragg, over an hour away. She’d gotten a notice about a false check she’d written a year ago for $80 when she was doing drugs. Since then, she got clean, got married, got a job, and got her new baby. When she went to the police station that day to check in about how to handle in a responsible way the charges related to the false check, the police informed Isabel, “You’re arrested.” Carted off to Ukiah, Isabel had to leave her baby with her husband, whose own meth habit was still not entirely in check.
            So there sat Isabel, crying as deeply as Marta was, each of them trying to make phone calls to get their children and their lives in some order in the midst of this utter chaos foisted upon them.
            Were the two of them not in bad enough circumstances, in comes Summer, angry and cursing the officer who had arrested her and plagued her. I cannot even convey the language coming out of Summer’s mouth in her utter rage. She spent the next three hours on the phone telling anyone who would listen to her among her friends and family how unfairly she had been treated, crying pitifully in between, “I just want to go home! I just want to be with my mom! I just want my dog!” Yeah, I could relate.
            Thinking I have some communication skills under my belt, I was trying to figure out what had happened to Summer and the arresting officer that had gone so wrong. I asked her if she had not overreacted to the arresting officer, who had subsequently put her in jail on suspicion of being on drugs.
            “Look at me. Do you think I’m using?” she asked earnestly. Well, I actually couldn’t tell. And then Summer went on an equally earnest rampage about how her family, Native Americans in a poor part of town, had been hounded by this particular police officer who, according to her, were out to get this family. She recounted the deaths and imprisonment of various family members over time, the disrespect to their Native traditions that she and others had to tolerate. The list of grievances ran on, and soon I was convinced that I certainly had no idea what I had been talking about in relation to a young woman who was feeling tormented by so many ghosts that I could never account for.
            In short, the whole Holding Tank experience was hugely humbling for me. Maureen and I eyed each other repeatedly, sometimes our eyes welling up with tears simultaneously as we realized we were in the midst of great injustice or simply great tragedy, as these young women were in the shock of figuring out how to cope with being thrown in jail, potentially for days or weeks or months even, while their lives would go on without them, their children or families in great need.
            In another hour, another woman, Nina, was introduced into the cell with us, a woman who had apparently violated her parole. From the looks of her, both her ravaged teeth and face and how she immediately resorted to sleeping on the floor of the cell, I figured she was recovering from a meth episode.
            I myself was extremely tired. It was 8:30 pm. We had gotten a meal at 4:40 pm on plastic trays shoved through the hole in the metal door, for which I was very grateful. Exhausted from our own ordeal and that of our cellmates, I found a space to curl up on the floor between Maureen and Nina. With four of us on the floor and Isabel, the young mother, on the bench, that was the only place to rest. I didn’t want to think what had been spewed up on that floor, but one gives up a hold on “decency” under duress.
            So Maureen and I waited out our turn to be booked and told we were going to be released, whether that would be that same night or early the next morning.
            Imagine my surprise at 10 pm when my name was called and I was finally taken in to be booked, only to be told by the booking officer, “It looks like you have a court date on Thursday, so you’ll be in until then.”
            “What?!” I asked. None of the protestors who were first time offenders had been forced to stay in jail beyond the holding cell thus far.
            “Yes,” she reiterated. I could see on my arrest sheet that the words the arresting officer had written, “Do Not Cite,” had been crossed out. I remembered the booking officer, when we arrived at jail, had come out and said to him, “It’s not an infraction,” and she had crossed out those words. We were no longer part of the “Cite and Release” gang. Now, it appeared, the police were going to slap protestors with a more serious response.
            From the booking cell’s phone, I quickly put in a call to our  jail support angel, Judi, who took my notes about what would have to happen to my dog (who now needed an extra day of home care) and my nephew (whom I wouldn’t be seeing on Thursday if I was still going to be in jail). I had known that if I were to be arrested, I risked staying an extra day; in fact, I risked all kinds of trouble. But I had just not expected it.
            And so soon I was off to jail, fo’ real, a very humbling experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment