Monday, March 28, 2011

#5 “Where I Lived, and What I Lived For”



Sunday, March 27, 2011

Thanks to Henry David Thoreau for the title of this episode, a chapter from his book Walden, which I loved already in high school. I think it appropriate to enlighten you at last to some reasons why I may put up with the relatively paltry privations and the plentiful challenges that I face.


Dufus of the Woods Award for the Day

First, my day would be incomplete without the Dufus of the Woods Award. Unable to wield an ax yet to make my own kindling out of the oak slabs in my cord of wood, and refusing to buy more nicely cut kindling when I’ve got a forest of twigs, I went out to break up said branches and twigs this afternoon, but didn’t wear my gloves. Urban Girl Must Remember To Wear Work Gloves. Subsequently, I somehow gouged myself with a forked branch, resulting in a wound spilling copious but not life-threatening amounts of blood in my right hand. Typing is a little difficult, I will say. Still lovin’ those hard lessons.


Completely in Love with Easeful Trees

Back to my real theme of the day, where I live and what I live for: ‘tis the stunning beauty of being surrounded by trees. Now, I know some of my urban friends out there would say that nothing sounds scarier; and sure, I’ve touched on that theme when some of the trees might fall on my head, but hey, they can do that in Sacramento, too, one of the thickest urban forests in the world.


But seriously, for me trees provide amazing company and comfort. Living spirits, dancers of the forest, creatures that shelter other creatures (including me)—so multifarious in their livelihoods, these trees, how can one not be entranced? When you come to visit me here, you’ll find an abundance of redwoods, madrone, fir, and tan oak, with a surprising bay tree on the Creek Trail.


In addition to the trees, I am in love with the other flora and fauna here, especially the creek that emerges during the winter season and the moss leaping greenly with the rains. I deeply appreciate the opportunity to be a steward of the earth and learn to enjoy and enhance the earth’s offerings. The absolute joy of the Creek Trail, for example: I have begun to clean up its bed just below the cabin, where falling branches over the years left a chaos of debris (photo, left, January). Now (photo, right, March after clearing) you can see the mossy banks of its running waters (though only in the winter—it dries up over the summer).



Over time, I’ve been building a trail down along the creek. Cholo comes with, and stop to watch as I take my loppers and clippers and clear a path. If a 14-year-old dog can make it, then anyone can, I figure. I’m discovering clearings in the woods and tiny ponds collecting in the creek bed. I invite you to come build trails with me one day. I’ll give you work gloves, I promise.



The Land I belong to here is comprised of 23 acres, very steep, shaped in a pie, with the widest part where the cabin is at the top along the road and heading straight down the hill. This land was timbered decades ago. Hence, you find enormous trunks of slain redwood giants here on the land and throughout the area. [Stay tuned for more of a history of the lumber industry and methods in Willits, part of the Redwood Empire. I’ll also share soon the story of how I came to be the caretaker of this land and cabin.]

New Improved Hot Bath


I leave you now so I can take my bath, that labor-intensive chore, heating 12 pots of water on the woodstove (to save propane). I’m seeking the effect of those old tin tubs that had tops that folded down to retain heat. I’ve improvised a good system. Bungee cords provide the support (picture, left) with garbabe bags on top (picture right). This time I now can manage 4 inches of water in my sauna-fied bath;
nice!


Oh yeah….





Thoreau’s Thought for the Day:

Why should we live with such hurry and waste of life?

(From “Where I Lived, and What I Lived For” in Walden)

1 comment:

  1. i'm so happy that you get to live with all the trees and water! you look so cool in yr bath too. yr descriptions make me feel that you are really being taken care of.

    ReplyDelete